You are here

Academics & Students Life

Academic Calendar

  • Spring Semester
2 March ~ Mid June End of June 1 Week of August
  • Fall Semester
1 Sept ~ Mid December End of December 1 Week of February


The majority of courses are taught in Korean but each college or department offers a number of courses in English. List of courses for a new semester is available at the beginning of January or July each year. Undergraduate students can take courses up to 18 credits and graduate students can take up to 12 credits.

Housing / Health care & Insurance


  • On-Campus Housing
Housing for exchange students is available at the Kwanaksa (Gwanak campus dormitory).
  • Off-Campus Housing
Off-campus housing is available around the campus. CSE office can help you with this, although SNU does not provide assistance to find off-campus housing and it is student’s own responsibility to find accommodation outside campus.

Insurance & Health Care

  • Travel Insurance
    • It is mandatory for every exchange/visiting student to obtain travel medical insurance. Students should comply with the following guidelines:
    • You have to be insured by an insurance company which takes effect in your country or in Korea
    • You can register for courses after submitting the copy of the insurance policy which states the above conditions
    • If you have any difficulties with the insurance issue, CSE office can help you although SNU does not involve in any insurance-related affairs
  • Medical Mutual Aid Service
    • Students can receive the benefits of the mutual aid by paying the fee of 4,000 KRW per semester upon the entrance of SNU. It is not mandatory but is recommended to register for the service.
    • Medical Care
      • Maximum Amount : 200,000 KRW
      • Up to 100,000 Won, 60% Coverage, (SNU Health Center, Coverage up to 70% )
      • Amount exceeding100,000 Won, 40% Coverage
    • Dental Care
      • Maximum Amount : 100,000 KRW
      • Up to 50,000 Won, 60% Coverage, (SNU Health Center, Coverage up to 70% )
      • Amount exceeding 50,000 Won, 40% Coverage


A student visa (D-2) is required to study in Korea if a student is not of Korean nationality. Please contact your nearest Korean Embassy or consulate for more detailed information on the visa application process.