Social & Computer Network Lab
Our Lab was established in 1991 with the name, ‘INC (Information Networking & Computing) Lab’. We have studied various fundamental and practical technologies for efficient info-communications and achieved brilliant research results, in collaboration with a number of top companies and research institutes. Recently with the spread of Social Network Services (SNS) services, the study of Social Network Analysis, which is proven to be very useful in increasing efficiency and quality of processes, has drawn global attention. With this trend, we changed the name of the lab from INC Lab to ‘SCONE (Social & Computer Network) Lab’, and our lab concentrates on converging Social Network, Computer Network and various IT Technologies. Currently, the core research areas in our lab include Social Network Analysis and application technologies of Wireless Communications, and by converging these, we are creating service technologies of a new paradigm. Our ultimate goal is to improve the quality of our lives by advancing the implementation of innovative Smart-information-oriented society.
Social network is a theoretical structure to analyze the relations between individuals, groups and organizations in the social science area based on graph theory, balance theory, social comparison theory and social identity theory. With the spread of Social Network Services (SNS), large volume of social data has been generated, and by analyzing the Social Networks and exploiting useful information extracted out of them, many domestic and foreign companies are improving the performance of various processes. In our lab, we are studying the techniques to maximize the influence of information by observing how information spreads out in social network. Furthermore, we are studying precise and accurate social recommender system, and SNS spam detection technologies by utilizing various features extracted out of social networks.
Communication is one of the most fundamental technologies supporting Smart-information-oriented age and the rapid increase of mobile user has resulted the rapid increase of the degree of expectation for high-quality wireless service. Consequently, cellular and 802.11 based WLAN technologies are being actively studied for faster and more accurate mobile communications, and IoT technologies such as RFID, Zigbee, Bluetooth, etc. are being spotlighted to realize smart home and smart life. In our lab, we are also studying the communication techniques using multiple antennas to maximize efficiency of wireless resource utilization, and 802.11 quality increasing techniques. Our studies on mobile application techniques include Video Streaming and Localization.
Computer network enables data exchange between geometrically distributed computers by connecting them. This structure involves the problems of information leaks and damages caused by data transmission or external intrusions, and these are the problems which should be managed in Information-oriented age. Recently, in security area, advanced cyber-attacks, which are hardly detectable with existing technologies, are prevalent. Our lab, to address these problems, studies on intelligent cyber-attack detection techniques, utilizing social network analysis and huge mobile traffic data.
1. Spam Detection: Email and SMS spams are the main component of service reliability, and various techniques for detecting these are under the spotlight. We analyze spammer’s characteristics on email and SMS social network and utilize it for the study on high-performance spam detection techniques.
2. Mobile Video Streaming: Video traffic is occupying over 70% of the whole mobile traffics and needs considerable energy on data communication. We are studying techniques to provide high quality video streaming services using less resources by considering various characteristics of video and wireless streaming environment comprehensively.
3. Localization: Today Location-based services (LBS) providing various user customized contents based on the positional information obtained by Global Positioning System (GPS) are taking center stage. We are studying Indoor localization technologies to increase the accuracy of location approximation in buildings by utilizing indoor wireless communication devices.
4. Internet of Things: These days, IoT(Internet of Things) technologies are receiving attention to realize smart life and hyper-connected society. We are studying tolerance, scalability, energy efficiency and reliable data communication techniques of sensor network as component technologies supporting these.
5. MIMO: MIMO is a core technology for the next generation wireless communication which can increase the capacity of wireless networks tremendously by using multi-antenna based beamforming techniques. In our lab, we are studying MIMO joint PHY/MAC design, Distributed MIMO and Massive MIMO.